Elm Street Interactive Area
For the first time, HONK! will host an interactive area combining art making and activism. We invite you to participate; share your vision for a better world by making imaginative sculpture or a silk-screened flag, a shield or protest poem. Support a cause or protest an issue — march with your own activist art in the Sunday HONK! Parade as part of our pop-up parade group.
- League of Just Us: what bugs you? Climate change? Economic inequity? Racism? Sexism? Mass deportation? Create a silkscreened sign or badge to shout it out. On Sunday, bring your message to our pop-up parade group and march!
- Street artist Julia Roth: add your voice to the resistance! Add a shape or slogan with spray paint and stencils to create a dynamic parade banner.
- Parts and Crafts: Somerville needs more affordable housing — build something! Make a tiny house from cardboard, duct tape and paint — carry it in the parade! Learn how we can make Somerville more affordable for everyone to live in!
- Space Park at HONK!: explore sustainable housing of the future, on Mars or Saturn. What kind of technology will we need? How will we grow food? Invent something new!
- Bread and Puppet Theater: experience the poetry of Palestinian writer Mahmoud Darwish reimagined in a series of large painted banners. Catch a cantastoria — a short story told using song and pictures.
- Jerry Beck and The Revolving Museum: stop by the fantastical Poetry Protest Sign Art Mobile. Recycle neighborhood trash into sculpture or embellish a shield with a slogan and join the Revolving Museum for Sunday’s Parade!