Elm Street Interactive Area
Saturday, October 8
We’re closing Elm Street to cars and turning it into a dynamic arena for interactive art making and activism. Please join in — work with our amazing HONK! artists to create something for yourself or for the Sunday Parade. Learn about some urgent issues with the grass roots volunteers and organizers working on community issues. Help amplify messages for positive change and activist causes with art!
- Amanda Hill and MAMAS (Medford and Somerville Mutual Aid Society): Use paint and stencils to transform the asphalt of Elm Street into a community garden celebrating abundance and joy!
- Sara Peattie/Puppeteers Coop and Save Alewife Brook: Make fish puppets to advocate for a clean Alewife Brook and Mystic River — bring your fish and join the Sunday Parade the next day!
- Anne-Katrin Spiess and Beyond Plastics Greater Boston: Participate in a funeral and eulogy mourning the deadly impact of plastic on the environment! Wear black to join our contingent of mourners.
- Pat Falco/Tim Devin and CAAS (Community Action Agency of Somerville): Explore the challenges of housing in/justice — what does it take to stay in your home and neighborhood despite gentrification, discrimination and skyrocketing rents?
- Art Group of Extinction Rebellion/Boston: silkscreen a patch or TShirt with graphics and messages to raise awareness of the climate crisis and urge action!
- Bread & Puppet: the artists of this awesome collective in Vermont install a series of vivid banners in a parade down the street.